[h-e-w] Re: AW: EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs

From: Brian Elmegaard
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: AW: EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 12:07:12 +0200

<address@hidden> writes:

> again, i am sure everything i wrote above is integrated in the
> manual but a newbie has great problems to find it and i am sure many
> potential users give up after a few hours. the best would be this
> pdf-file could be downloaded with the emacs-file an a bundle or at
> least at the same site.

The users of our simulator more or less need emacs to use it. They are
generally windows users with the usual background as I also has a few
years ago.

I think emacsW32 is a huge step in the right direction for emacs on on
windows. Before it was very difficult to get started. I had the
problem with file associations too. I thought it had been solved by
Lennart. At least he did a big effort a while ago.

One option that might be interesting was to put emacsW32 in full
windows mode by default or make it an option during installation.

I also understand your problems and you will see this has been
discussed in this group and in the emacs groups several times
before. I struggled for some time and got through, but what you are
looking for definitely have helped me.

Did you try?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&q=emacs+%22getting+started%22+windows&btnG=Search

I found:
http://web.cecs.pdx.edu/~rootd/catdoc/guide/TheGuide_100.html
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/iss/documentation/beg/beg6.pdf
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Emacs-Beginner-HOWTO-2.html
http://www.louisville.edu/~wrrisi01/Emacs/

Would any of these be what you look for? To me TheGuide looks very
good.

Also the emacs manual /is/ available in pdf and html with search
possibilities:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/

> lot of time, much more time than i have ever invested for example to
> learn ultraedit, but i am confident that its an investment for the
> future and for me its also a lot of fun to to discover the
> possibilities of emacs.

I did experience that.

--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)