AW: AW: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs

From: C.Strobl
Subject: AW: AW: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2006 10:17:19 +0200

i am stopping now here. my intention was only how to ease the first steps with
emacs. the first steps for me are

1) searching for the download-page: (very easy)
2) looking at the page for downlaod (a little bit confusing)
3) installing (easy)
4) first steps inside (difficult, but there is a tutorial)
5) a little bit real working (difficult, because of the hidden examples, i know
now, there is the i-command)
6) first customizing (difficult, also with the options-menu to find the options
you are looking for)

inside emacs all is wonderfull, the question for me was how to get there. i
didn't think that people who are using emacs for years can imagine the
problems. so i wanted to give some feedback from my point of view. it's a very
personal view. and it concerns no longer me because i did already the first
steps also with your help. i know now the i-command in the manual, i bought a
emacs-book,  and so on.
but for a potential new user who has no little success after one hour or two
(and this is not so little time) it's important to have a sort of guide with
the most important things. in this way the new user gets the impression there
is  a possibility to learn it with not too much effort. otherwise he loose his
motivation and goes back to ultraedit or whatever. i thought you want to get
new emacs-users. if you want only users who are willing to spent much more time
(me) or are very smart there is no need to change. i know also the time to get
in is nothing compared with the time you all already spent with emacs, the
developers not mentioned. but the motivation to get in is also not that high
for new users.

christian

p.s. to the copy and paste in the menu. i was looking for a comfortable
powerfull editor and copy-paste in the menu was far beyond my demands. even
with notepad it's possible to copy, paste, replace with s-c, s-v, c-x
p.p.s. to david: all you write is right, but thats not the point. inside emacs
you can find nearly everything. the problem is to get there.  for me pdf or
html doesn't matter but pdf is a liitle bit more comfortable, especially for
printing and distribuition.