RE: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs

From: Stephen F. Heffner
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] EmacsW32, gnuserv, pathes in .emacs
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2006 14:48:48 -0700

Nat Goodspeed wrote:

> BUT -- since they knew every user had function keys, cursor keys, page keys,
> home/end keys, etc. etc., their default key bindings were comfortable: common
> tasks took ONE finger. I quickly became familiar with their conventions.

FWIW, there are those of us who are fast touch typists, and we don't want to
remove our fingers from the main keyboard; it slows things down a lot.  (I use
keyboards with eraser head track sticks as much as I can, for the same reason.)
I'll grant that the default Emacs key bindings aren't intuitive; but they have
the major advantage of (mostly) sticking to the touch-typing area of the
keyboard.  Function and keypad keys force a touch typist to interrupt his/her
train of thought, look down and find the key, etc.

Once the knowledge of those key bindings migrates down the brain stem and out
the fingers, it's not really a major issue.  In my observation, it doesn't take
very much use of a tool for that to take place (YMMV).

Another major advantage for those of us who must use many different computers:
The key bindings stay put, instead of wandering all over the periphery of the
keyboard depending on whose keyboard you have to use.  E.g., I don't even trust
"ESC" to be "where it belongs"; I use "CTL-[".

My 2c (plain), Steve Heffner

Stephen F. Heffner, President        | Phone:  +1(480)626-5503
         ------------                | Fax:    +1(480)626-7618
Pennington Systems Incorporated      | Email:  address@hidden
8655 East Via de Ventura, Suite G200 | Web:    http://WWW.Pennington.com
Scottsdale, Arizona 85258 USA        | XTRAN:  A software engineering meta-tool