[h-e-w] Emacsw32 and spell-checking

From: PaulBowman
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacsw32 and spell-checking
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 11:30:53 +0100

Hi,

This is specifically for the EmacsW32 folks. After a few years happily
plodding along with 21.3 on Win2K (and NT4!), I've finally decided to
try and get with the times and move up to trying 22 + EmacsW32 package
at home (and the v 23 alpha + EW32 at work for the purposes of living
dangerously).

So far I'm pretty happy with everything except the situation with spell
checking. Given that I use Emacs a lot for human text production as well
as code, I naturally need a spell checker pretty much straight away,
however Emacs32 out of the box just gives you a "Searching for program:
no such file or directory, ispell" error when you try to spell check.
OK, it's understandable that you don't necessarily want to start
bundling too much in with the basic package, but I couldn't find any
help in the documentation at ourcomments.org. The general state of
online documentation for getting the spell checking working is fairly
poor. I went with aspell at home (which doesn't appear to have any
development since 2002?) which was a bit of a struggle to setup without
a straight-forward HOWTO in any one place. Any ideas on this? It is a
pretty fundamental feature IMO.

Cheers,

Paul Bowman

HBOS plc, Registered in Scotland No. SC218813. Registered Office: The Mound,
Edinburgh EH1 1YZ. HBOS plc is a holding company, subsidiaries of which are
authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.