[h-e-w] Re: C-x C-f *.txt RET

From: Mathias Dahl
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: C-x C-f *.txt RET
Date: Fri, 09 Jun 2006 16:09:43 +0200

"Raymond Zeitler" <address@hidden> writes:

> Yes, Mathias, exactly like C-x C-f *.txt RET.
>
> By including the question mark and happy face in your response,
> do you mean to imply that C-x C-f *.txt RET will open all the
> files in the CWD that have a TXT extension?  Because it doesn't,
> for me.  What it does is open a new buffer called *.txt.

My smiley was just a reference to the Icicle solution. If all you
wanted was a way to open all files with a certain file extension in a
certain folder, the simple command above works well. If the directory
(in my case c:/) does not contain any .txt files, a buffer called
*.txt will be created.

--
C-x C-f runs the command find-file
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `files.el'.

Edit file filename.
Switch to a buffer visiting file filename,
creating one if none already exists.
Interactively, the default if you just type RET is the current directory,
but the visited file name is available through the minibuffer history:
type M-n to pull it into the minibuffer.

Interactively, or if wildcards is non-nil in a call from Lisp,
expand wildcards (if any) and visit multiple files.  You can
suppress wildcard expansion by setting `find-file-wildcards' to nil.
--

I know Icicles lets you do much cooler things, for example you can
probably open all .txt files regardless of the directory they are in.

/Mathias