Re: [h-e-w] Re: sending filenames from command-line

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: sending filenames from command-line
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 15:10:37 +0200

address@hidden wrote:
I was still really wondering what the layers were that are involved when sending a string from the command-line to Emacs
and how they alter parameters.  CMD's 'readline'-like layer,
gnuclient's parameter parsing, Emacs' parsing, etc. and who
could be translating backslashes and requiring quoting ("I need
how many backslashes do I need to pass one in? Four?").
But if this %var:x=y% expansion will work I may not need to worry.
Gnuclient just expands filenames before sending them to gnuserv. Filenames must then be single arguments to gnuclient. Actually that is not very good for the integration with the OS. You have to specifiy full file names to -e when it works this way. I would prefer that when -e was used that gnuclient first told gnuserv to change directory and then evaluate the argument to -e.

On the other hand -- nothing stops me from writing this extension to gnuclient/gnuserv. However there will soon be a successor to gnuclient/gnuserv which is called emacsclient/server. (Unfortunately no one has yet got this working for MS Windows). BTW - should not this discussion by on the MS Windows port list?