Re: [h-e-w] sending filenames from command-line

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] sending filenames from command-line
Date: Wed, 07 Jun 2006 00:38:46 +0200

David Vanderschel wrote:
d:\emacs\emacs-20.7\bin\gnuclientw.exe -F "%1 %2 %3 %4"

Backslashes are no problem.  Spaces in the path are a
little problem - addressed with the multiple %n's for
the quoted argument to gnuclientw.  Add more if you
need them.  (I need my full path to emacs's bin
directory, since it is not actually in my path
environment variable.)  Things do get fouled up if you
put quotes around the path on the command line.

In EmacsW32 there is a command file for opening files with gnuclient. The command file emacs.cmd looks something like this (depending on where you choosed to install EmacsW32):

   @"c:\Program Files\Emacs\EmacsW32\bin\gnuclient.exe" -sqf  %*

If you want to open a file with spaces in do like this:

   emacs.cmd "C:\Program Files"

This open dired for that directory. It is quite convenient to have it this way since completion in cmd.exe will add the quotes.