Re: [h-e-w] Initialization of EmacsW32 under xp sp2

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Initialization of EmacsW32 under xp sp2
Date: Wed, 24 May 2006 15:09:49 +0200

When you use the new gnuclient that comes with EmacsW32 and uses the setup that is done there you do not have to start gnuserv yourself in your .emacs file. That is instead done by the -s argument. Both Emacs and gnuserv will be started.

Do you load gnuserv.el yourself in .emacs? If so please remove it.

A possible cause of the error you get is a timeout. Gnuclientw.exe waits 60 seconds for the response from gnuserv. If it takes longer time than that to start Emacs + gnuclient then there will be a timeout. However after that Emacs + gnuclient should still work as expected.

Eli N, if you do not succeed then try removing your .emacs temporarily and see if it works then.

Ken Goldman wrote:
This might be too obvious, but did you start the server first?  10053
is an error (e.g., time out) making the socket connection.

FWIW, when I use gnuclient, I don't specify -sqf.

Date: Tue, 23 May 2006 09:17:15 +0100
From: "Eli Napchan" <address@hidden>

I have installed the complete package, set:
        HOME=c:\program files\emacs
but when starting using:
        "C:\Program Files\Emacs\EmacsW32\bin\gnuclientw.exe" -sqf
I get a message box with an error from gnuclientw.exe:
        unable to send (in send_string)
        WSAGetLastError=10053
        Search on Internet for "Windows Sockets Error Codes" for info.

Is there anything that I can do to solve this?