RE: [h-e-w] Emacs 23.0.0.1 on XP runs from cygwin bash, crashes

From: Damyan Pepper
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Emacs 23.0.0.1 on XP runs from cygwin bash, crashes
Date: Tue, 2 May 2006 08:52:24 +1000

On 5/2/06, ronys <address@hidden> wrote:

I decided that it's about time to upgrade from 21.3 to the latest &
greatest. 21.3 runs without problem on my XP SP2 machine. 23.0 runs
fine when I invoke runemacs or emacs from cygwin's bash promt, but
crashes (dialog box offering me to debug under gdb) when invoked from
the cmd prompt or via a shortcut.

This sounds similar to a problem I was having where emacs would crash
on startup if my HOME environment variable wasn't set.  Running from
cygwin would be fine since that sets HOME.

For various reasons I don't want to set HOME globally on my machine,
so I start emacs with a simple runemacs.bat that looks like this:

set HOME=c:/
runemacs %*

That's a workaround at least - it'd be nice if I didn't need to do that!