[h-e-w] GNU Emacs 21.3.1 - UWin ksh93 - Windoze XP (frustration)

From: odoncaoa
Subject: [h-e-w] GNU Emacs 21.3.1 - UWin ksh93 - Windoze XP (frustration)
Date: Fri, 3 Feb 2006 14:38:05 -0800 (PST)

Greetings,

I'm trying to re-aquaint gnu emacs with uwin ksh on windoze xp. For whatever
reason, I get the process to execute, but it then immediately exits. I have
fixed this problem in days gone by, but, hey, I'm back ;^) I'm aware of all of
 the elisp incantations necessary to make them play nicely together. I'm
at a bit of a loss at the moment? The ksh should not be exiting. Here's the
output that is left in the *shell* buffer:
   $

   Process shell finished

This is what script looks like:

;;
;; =
=
;; =                         drd-Proc-UWinKsh()
=
;; =
=
;;
  (defun        drd-Proc-UWinKsh ()
                "Function to process emacs environment to work with UWIN ksh"

        (message "--> Processing UWIN" )

        (let ( (directory-sep-char ?/) )
                ;; ASSIGN THE ENVIRONMENT VALUE IF THERE IS ONE,
                ;; OTHERWISE ASSIGN IT THE VALUE HERE
                (if   (getenv "UWINHOME")
                        (setq    shell-directory        (concat (getenv
"UWINHOME")
"/usr/bin") )
                (setq    shell-directory        "/usr/bin" ))

        )
        (message "\n--> shell-directory = %s" shell-directory)

        (setq            uwin-dir               (concat shell-directory ";") )
        (setenv         "PATH"                  (concat uwin-dir (getenv
"PATH")) )
        ;;  Extend the exec-path to the directory containing UWIN programs
        (setq exec-path  (append  exec-path           '( shell-directory ) ) )

        ;; ADD THIS THIS TO THE LIST
;;      (setq            process-coding-system-alist
;;                      (cons '("ksh" . (raw-text-unix . raw-text-unix))
;;                       process-coding-system-alist) )
;;      (setq            process-coding-system-alist
;;                      (cons '("ksh" . raw-text-unix)
;;                       process-coding-system-alist))

        ;; For the interactive shell
        (setq            explicit-shell-file-name
                        (concat shell-directory "/ksh.exe") )
        ;; For subprocesses invoked via the shell (e.g., "shell -c command")
        (setq            shell-file-name
                        (concat shell-directory "/ksh.exe") )

        ;; INITIALIZE OTHER STUFF
        (drd-init-func)

;;      (setq explicit-shell-file-name (concat shell-directory "/trace.exe") )
;;      (setq explicit-trace.exe-args '("-iv" "-o" "/tmp/trace_out.txt"
"/bin/ksh"
"--" "pwd"))
;;      (setq explicit-trace.exe-args '("-iv" "-o" "/tmp/trace_out.txt"
"/bin/ksh"
"-i") )

        (setenv         "SHELL"                     explicit-shell-file-name )

        ;; RECOMMENDED IN comint.el BECAUSE THAT IS A DEFINED TERMINAL TYPE
        ;; (SO AS TO NOT CONFUSE terminfo).
        (setenv         "TERM"                                       "dumb" )

        (message "--> SHELL = %s" (getenv "SHELL"))

        ;; ========================================================
        ;; MAKE emacs AT HOME ON DAVID KORN'S ksh
        ;; PASS THESE ARGS TO THE SHELL WHEN IT IS STARTED
;;      (setq   explicit-ksh.exe-args                                "-i"  )
;;      (setq   explicit-KSH.exe-args                                "-i"  )

        ;; THIS SEEMS TO OVERIDE THE ENVIRONMENT VARIABLES SHELL & ESHELL
          (setq  shell-command-switch                                 "-c"  )
          (setq  win32-quote-process-args                               t   ) ;
Emacs 19
          (setq  w32-quote-process-args                                 t   ) ;
Emacs 20
          (setq  comint-process-echoes                                  t   )

        ;; UPDATE /dev/null AS IDENTIFIED IN DAVID KORN'S UWIN DISTRIBUTION
          (setq  grep-null-device                            "/C/dev/null"  )
          (defvar drd-shellused   (list shell-file-name)    "The selected
shell: uwin"
 )

        (message "--> UWIN done" )
  )

On Fri Sep 23 14:17:16 EDT 2005, Joe Kelsey KELSEY at avtcorp.com, posted the
a similar query on the UWin ksh list:
          "I run UWIN and NT Emacs.  I am currently having a lot of trouble
           getting Emacs to start a subshell with UWIN ksh as the shell. Every
           time I try, ksh always prints the command prompt and then
immediately
           exits.
           Has anyone else tried to get UWIN ksh to work with NT Emacs?  Does
           anyone have any ideas?

/Joe"

Cheers,

odoncaoa