Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows

From: Ismael Valladolid Torres
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows
Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2005 11:01:22 +0100

Lennart Borgman wrote:
> Ismael Valladolid Torres wrote:
>
>> Indeed I prefer not using *installers*. Nevertheless where can I
>> download that EmacsW32 distro?
>>
>> Cordially, Ismael
>>

> It is here: http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32.html
>
> And since you said you do not like installers could you perhaps give me
> some feedback?;-)

Not much feedback to give. Windows is a dangerous place to live in and
in order to avoid viruses and spyware I usually prefer being a non
administrative user. As a non administrative user, when emacs comes in
form of a zipped or tarred archive I can simply uncompress it and add
the resulting bin to my personal path. If I needed to run an installer,
before I would need to contact my IT department in order to become an
administrator.

Moreover I am simply used to UNIX way of life where all the
configuration goes to plain text files under /etc or under your home in
form of dotfiles. Usually I am not aware of how much garbage an
installer puts in my registry, so better simply uncompress things and
run them being in full control of their configuration.

My way: Getting a compiled emacs archive, uncompressing it to C:\emacs,
adding C:\emacs\bin to my path, setting HOME to C:\cygwin\home\ismaeval2
and putting there my .emacs, adding a shortcut to gnuclienw.exe to my
SendTo folder, and that's it!

Hope this makes sense. :)

Cordially, Ismael
--
Dropping science like when Galileo dropped his orange