Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows
Date: Thu, 24 Nov 2005 17:24:48 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:

One thing that I at the moment have commented out is setting of process-coding-system-alist, because I do not understand when it is needed. I myself is using CVS Emacs (the developers version) and that might be the reason, but I do not know. Can you maybe explain why and when it is needed?

Cygwin programs require (and output) Unix line ends. Since about 20.3, Emacs has automatically detected Cygwin programs and set the coding-system for talking to them appropriately.

The Cygwin faq still recommends that process-coding-system-alist is set. See the page http://www.cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html, look for "What about NT Emacs". Should we tell them to change this recommendation or is there still a reason for it?