Re: [h-e-w] Re: Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Unix utilities for Emacs on MS Windows
Date: Wed, 23 Nov 2005 23:41:34 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:

Yes, it works both ways. Cygwin programs such as ssh, which expect stdin and stdout to be implemented by Cygwin's tty emulation will not work as subprocesses of native Windows apps.

Why does GNU bash work as a subprocess to a native Windows app, but not the other programs? If a program like ssh is started from a subprocess running GNU bash does it work then (or does it send the output directly to the native Windows app)?

There are also problems caused by Cygwin's DLLs not being compatible with native DLLs of the same name and causing crashes if Cygwin is in your PATH. This problem often affects native ports of open source programs, giving people the false impression that the native ports are inferior to the Cygwin package.

I looked in my Cygwin install now and the names all the DLL:s I have so far downloaded start with "cyg". But I have not downloaded very much of Cygwin (around 30MB). Perhaps have they tried to fix this problem now?