[h-e-w] Tramp and Ntemacs [was: Ange-ftp stalls intermitently]

From: list-emacs-windows
Subject: [h-e-w] Tramp and Ntemacs [was: Ange-ftp stalls intermitently]
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 14:44:51 +0100

[bringing this back on list from a private reply received]

> Take a look at TRAMP mode, now shipping with emacs.

It doesn't seem to be shipped with the NTemacs I am using:
GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600) of 2004-03-10 on NYAUMO

Instead, I downloaded tramp-2.1.3.tar.gz and built and installed it
using Cygwin development tools, and added this to my ~/.emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "c:/emacs-21.3/tramp/share/emacs/site-lisp")
(require 'tramp)

It looks promising, only I can't quite get it to work...

Does anyone here have TRAMP and NTemacs working together?

I found this post: http://tinyurl.com/damqf in which Tom Roche claims
to have it working, however the detailed instructions (on his home
page) are inaccessible: http://www4.ncsu.edu/~tlroche/plinkTramp.html

> TRAMP over SSH gives you better security. You can also run it over
> rsh.

Unfortunately my only options are FTP & rlogin, but rlogin is
supported by Tramp so I am still hopeful.

> It seems to me to be more stable than ange-ftp.

That's my first impression too.

Cheers,
-bernie.