Re: [h-e-w] Installing emacs

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Installing emacs
Date: Mon, 29 Aug 2005 18:05:41 -0400

"Cathalina Fontenelle" <address@hidden> writes:

> I am a newcomer to this so here is a very basic question.  Tried
> installing emacs on windows xp, downloaded the emacs.tar.gz

This is probably just the source files; note that official
distribution file names have at least the version in them, so either
you are quoting the file name incompletely, or you got it from an
unofficial place.

You could compile from source, but there's no need. The binary
(executable) distribution file is

emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz

available here:

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/pub/gnu/emacs/windows