[h-e-w] Emacs setup helper and msi installer [Was: Re: Emacs-21.3-5 msi

From: Brian Elmegaard
Subject: [h-e-w] Emacs setup helper and msi installer [Was: Re: Emacs-21.3-5 msi installer]
Date: 22 Aug 2005 15:53:12 +0200

Rex Dieter <address@hidden> writes:

I am now once again trying to use the msi-installer of w32-emacs.
I am, however, not sure how to use it and what to install.

What I would like to obtain is to have emacs in a central place and
let users use the program with or without customization and with or
without external programs, but without having access to write on the C
drive.
The installation in c:\program files\emacs is fine as long as this
will be possible. Unfortunately, I cannot get it to work.

When I run the user-init-file is not set. It is nil. Why is this? Is
upstart options, a leftover from a previous install (I think
everything was deleted from the registry), or a bug?

If I add:
; Brian's suggestions
(setenv "HOME" (getenv "USERPROFILE"))
(cd (getenv "USERPROFILE"))
(setq user-init-file (concat (getenv "HOME") "\\_emacs"))

I get a user-init-file where expected, but it has to be read manually
by load-file. why?

The directory structure confuses me.
Under the emacs directory I have three dirs:
emacs-21.3, setup and site-lisp.

Under emacs-21.3 there is another site-lisp, which seems to be the one
that is actually used. What is the separate one doing?

Both under emacs-21.3 and setup there are bin, etc, lisp. They don't
contain the same, but as far as I can guess they are both in use. What
is the point in this distinction? Have I installed too much?

> Why is this needed exactly?  Is there a bug in the stock Emacs wrt this?

I see your points in this reply from May, but I have no other way for
the moment.

--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.web.mek.dtu.dk/Staff/be/be.html