Re: [h-e-w] Registry and installation scripts

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Registry and installation scripts
Date: Fri, 27 May 2005 00:29:16 +0200

Jason Rumney wrote:

Dr Francis J Wright wrote:

The GNU Emacs source code will be freely available for the foreseeable
future.  So, even if various precompiled, prepackaged versions are
available, it will always be possible to compile from source and ignore the
packaging.
Right. There are several installers out there, but I know Lennart has written his installer (which is the one that is likely to become part of the official distribution after 22.1 is released) to work with the official packages, not to replace them. I don't see this changing in future, even if/when the installer becomes part of the official Emacs distribution.

As a matter of fact I have written installation kit (which I call Emacs Setup Utilities for MS Windows) so that it can be used in different ways. It can be used to enhance (I hope) existing Emacs installation. It can be used to install Emacs from the *.tar.gz distribution file (ie emacs-21.3-fullbin-i386.tar.gz).

It can also be used to build distribution packages that includes Emacs in the installation exe file. I have actually just built to such distribution packages to prove the concept, one with the current release version (that is built using the tar.gz file above) and one built from the CVS version.

I have uploaded them to http://ourcomments.org/Emacs/EmacsW32InstallationKit.html .

BTW the installation kit write only to HKEY_USER if there are no privs to write to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. It can however not avoid writing to Registry since gnuserv/client needs this info. (But I might have made a mistake when it comes to file associations... - did I check for privs there?)