Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Re: Control frame size on startup from .emacs

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Re: Control frame size on startup from .emacs
Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 22:01:10 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Neil J Mackie" <address@hidden>

> OK. I actually used this a few days ago to update my emacs at home. I did
> not appreciate the introduction of a Emacs-211.3 subdirectory to my setup,
> which has always been "Program Files \ Emacs\bin", which left me with two
> emacs binaries, two site list directories etc, but that is not really the
> point.

Thank you for commenting on this. I hoped someone should do that some day. I
did choose a structure that I believed should make it more easy to maintain
different versions of Emacs on the same pc. That is why I choosed "Program
Files\Emacs\emacs-21.3\bin". You may of course disagree that this is good to
do! At the moment I do not remember if I made this an option, but I believe
I did. Wasn't there a screen where you could choose which directory to use?

> _Any_ automated procedure is unacceptable in a corporate environment, as
is
> _any_ use of the registry.

This is why this setup/install utility is written as it is:

1) You only have to trust some open source software to use it. This is all
documented in the .zip file you can download. (Starting from this you can
build either the setup utility or a distribution package including Emacs.)

2) You can use the emacs*tar.gz file from the setup utility (it will unpack
it for you).

3) You can easily build distribution packages specific to your company from
it.

4) The setup/install utility can do more for you than just unpack the
emacs*.tar.gz file because I believe more is needed to make a really good
and useful installation. (But you can look in the source files to find out
exactly what it does.)

What is unacceptable here? Why is it so?

Kind regards,
Lennart