Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Re: Control frame size on startup from .emacs

From: Neil J Mackie
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Fwd: Re: Control frame size on startup from .emacs
Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 13:01:09 +0100

Lennart asked,
Could you please take a look at the installer/setup utility

OK. I actually used this a few days ago to update my emacs at home. I did not appreciate the introduction of a Emacs-211.3 subdirectory to my setup, which has always been "Program Files \ Emacs\bin", which left me with two emacs binaries, two site list directories etc, but that is not really the point.

The point is that up to now emacs has been set up by downloading a compressed distribution, uncompressing it and then copying the files into position. The same for gnuclient/gnuserver and any elisp files like cua.el. Its a _manual_ process of copying files, that is acceptable in a corporate environment (they cant sack you for copying a file). Since you control what goes in site-start.el or .emacs you can show you have control over what emacs does. (You cannot 'prove' what emacs does but I'd gloss over that).

_Any_ automated procedure is unacceptable in a corporate environment, as is _any_ use of the registry.

Can anyone contribute how emacs is being officially developed on the Windows platform and whether the use of the registry and installation scripts are sanctioned or not?

I dont want to prevent progress, or be critical of well intentioned effort, but I do want to continue to use emacs on a daily basis at work.

Regards,
Neil (J Mackie).