[h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Installer

From: Brian Elmegaard
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Installer (.msi) format
Date: 29 Apr 2005 08:20:48 +0200

Rex Dieter <address@hidden> writes:

> Users should have admin access to their own/home machines, no?

Yes, good.

> Not environment variable, but registry setting in
> HKLM/Software/Gnu/Emacs
> (or HKCU/Software/Gnu/Emacs if not admin)

So this is the reason. Why does emacs use registry variables on
windows? Why does it have to be so difficult to find these global
settings in windows? (Not blaming you for these of course.)

> For this last bit, perhaps a lisp guru here can help me try to use the
> env variable %PROGRAMFILES% or at least %SYSTEMDRIVE% instead of
> hard-coding c:/Program Files.

Maybe this is where I can make just a minor contribution:
(getenv "PROGRAMFILES")

--
Brian (remove the sport for mail)
http://www.et.dtu.dk/staff/be/be.html