Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Instal

From: Rex Dieter
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Installer (.msi) format
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 11:21:28 -0500

Brian Elmegaard wrote:
> Lennart and Rex, I now tried the msi installer running setup helper
> and it is really a nice solution. I will switch to this approach and
> forget my own hopeless iss installer.
>
> I have one problem though:
> The setup helper is installed to c:\program files\emacs\ but it will
> not work for my users as they don't have write access to any place on
> c. Is the install here just an intermediate storage or does it have a
> function after the installation to the final directory? Could it go
> to temp or to the final directory instaed?

Not sure why I hard-coded the "setup helper" bits into Program
Files\Emacs.  I'll see about making that bit relocatable too.

Understand that our motifivations are entirely different, as my primary
intention is to create a package that *administrators* install that
users merely "use".

> When I had it installed and ran my current emacs, neither of
> c:\emacs\site-lisp\site-start.el or my _emacs had been
> changed. Although it still looked for w32-feeling.el which had only
> to do with the new install? Do you know the reason for this? It
> couldn't find the file however, as it was only in the c:\program
> files intermediate not in the final installation. Is this correct?
> What will it do?

My installer only looks in
%emacs_dir%\site-lisp
Program Files\Emacs\site-lisp

The latter being pretty much absolutely required (IMO), so that add-on
packages can have a known-ahead-of-time location to install lisp
packages and startup/inits in site-start.d.  I chose to do it that way
instead of installing to %emacs_dir\site-lisp because:
1.  Emacs must be installed prior to any add-on install.
2.  Upgrading Emacs (where %emacs_dir changes) would require a
re-install of all add-ons.

-- Rex