Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Instal

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Installer (.msi) format
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2005 00:27:47 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rex Dieter" <address@hidden>

Hi Rex,
Sorry for not answering for a couple of days. I have been half
"uncomputerized" and have had other things to think about.

> I tried Running
> EmacsSetupHelper on top of my .msi-installed Emacs and it worked nicely
> (After re-installing Emacs to the expected /Program
> Files/Emacs/Emacs-21.3 location).

Do I understand you correctly that you then make an .MSI package of this?
That seems like the right thing to do. However it should not be necessary to
use the location you mention. What happened if you did not?

> A couple of questions about
> EmacsSetupHelper regarding it's "Windows Integration of Emacs" option:
> Associate selected file types.  As I didn't see any file types listed or
> selected anywhere, what associations are made?

If you choose "Associate selected file types" then .el is always associated
with Emacs, otherwise not. I have forgotten to mention this (and the
wordings are perhaps a bit unlogical).

> Lastly, I wonder, has there been any effort to push your customizations
> (w32-feeling, Gnuserv / gnuclient namely) upstream?  They would be nice
> additions.

Guy Gascoigne - Piggford is the one who have done the port of
gnuserv/gnuclient to w32 and I have made some small changes which he has
adopted (I believe). He is perhaps now working on porting emacsserver/client
to w32. (The latest port of gnuserv/gnuclient for w32 is in beta. I am a bit
unsure if they currently can become a part of Emacs.)

I have tried to make EmacsSetupHelper a part of the Emacs project, but it is
not yet that. Maybe if some people tell the developers on the developers
list that it should be part of Emacs it can become that.

Kind regards,
Lennart