Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Instal

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft Installer (.msi) format
Date: Mon, 4 Apr 2005 22:39:20 +0200

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rex Dieter" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, April 04, 2005 1:42 PM
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Emacs-21.3, Macaulay2-0.9.2 packaged in Microsoft
Installer (.msi) format

> Lennart Borgman wrote:
> > Yes, there are indeed other projects for installation kits for Emacs on
MS
> > Windows. Please go to
> > http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/WThirtyTwoInstallationKit for more
> > information.
>
> I don't see any other project listed there creating *.msi* installers...
> Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Now at least your project is mentioned there ;-)

I think we have taken very different paths, but I am not sure. As far as I
can see you have created a installation package that contains Emacs. Because
this is quite big (14-16 MB) I can not download it now and look into it, so
I do not know for sure.

What I have been trying to do is to create a framework for making an
installation package - but also a utility that you could use to "setup" the
emacs you already have. This download is less than 1MB. If I would create an
actual installation package (including Emacs) it will be about the size of
your package. The main disadvantage of my approach is maybe that it does not
create a MSI package.

It is however very easy to create the installation package with either the
current version of Emacs or the CVS version of Emacs but I myself does not
want to do it because of low bandwith. Anyone is free to do that. The
package you create will include support for gnuserv/gnuclient, starting
Emacs from Explorer or from cmd.exe, file association setup etc.

I would be glad if we somehow could mix our efforts.