Re: AW: [h-e-w] Entering specia l characters into buffer, e.g. €

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: AW: [h-e-w] Entering specia l characters into buffer, e.g. €
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2005 10:13:24 +0000

Luetzeler Michael wrote:

In "Windows applications" e.g. notepad both "Ctrl-Alt E" and "AltGr E"
produce the € sign.

In my nt-emacs setup neither produced any sign in a buffer. For the @ sign
the behaviour is
in emacs "Ctrl-Alt q" -> nothing "AltGr q" -> @.

What font should I use in emacs to be able to display a € sign? My default
font is Courier New and
the € sign shows up as \200. But if I switch to e.g. Arial via the
Shift-Left Click the € sign still is
not shown.
Do I have to "install" new fonts that contain the € sign?

You do not have to install new fonts. The fonts you have are capable of displaying a Euro sign, you just need to use an encoding that has the Euro (iso8859-15 or utf8), and get your keyboard input dealt with appropriately.

The easiest way to deal with keyboard input is to define the keys manually:

(define-key global-map [#x80]
 (lambda () (interactive) (insert (make-char 'latin-iso8859-15 #x24))))

As far as encodings go, you will need to install extra lisp packages to get windows-1252 encoding (which you can then use as your keyboard-coding-system to avoid having to do the above), and to translate chaacters automatically between utf-8, iso8859-1 and iso8859-15 (called something like utf-translate-8859-on-encoding).

Alternatively, if you are willing to use non-released software, you could use the CVS version of Emacs, which includes everything and works out of the box. There are a couple of slightly out of date Windows binaries around, probably the most up to date will be Lennart's installer, if he's released it publically.