Re: [h-e-w] Emacs and ssh

From: Michael Albinus
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs and ssh
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 23:51:53 +0100

"Ehud Karni" <address@hidden> writes:

> If you use Cygwin ssh, why not use Cygwin Emacs ?
> I tested (Cygwin's) ssh from within (Cygwin's) Emacs and it works
> VERY well on both Emacses (the one distributed with Cygwin - 21.2,
> and cvs's Emacs - 22.0.50 built on Cygwin).

I did the same test a while ago, it works indeed without any
problem. But: it isn't because of me. It's because of Tramp users, who
apply both NTemacs (or nqmacs) together with Cygwin's ssh. And before
I discourage them for this combination, I'ld like to know that it
really doesn't work. See the discussion in
<address@hidden>, where this thread did start.

> I don't use NTemacs (I stopped using it after 20.6), but I think
> you should try running ssh -T (Disable pseudo-tty allocation),
> something like: ssh -v -T YOUR-HOST "/bin/bash -i" .
> You won't have "job control" but otherwise it should work well.

Thanx for the hint. Unfortunately, it doesn't work either ...

> Ehud

Best regards, Michael.