[h-e-w] Re: wrong dired format

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: wrong dired format
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2005 16:34:27 -0000

From: "Radomir Hejl" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Monday, December 27, 2004 12:30 PM
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Re: wrong dired format

> I've got ls-lisp.el as of Dec 2002 included in emacs
> 21.3.1. Nevertheless the problem persists. How do you
> change from "Feb" to "II"? In Windows I have
> DD.MM.YYYY date format, but dired clings to
> I,II,III,IV... for months.

All versions of ls-lisp that I have seen so far use the Lisp function
format-time-string with a hard-coded format string containing %b to format
months within dates, and %b gives the locale's abbreviated month name.  So I
guess Emacs is working in a locale that represents abbreviated month names
as Roman numerals and the locale is probably being set by an environment
variable.  If so, then it's probably ignored by Windows, which is why you
see different date formats in Emacs and Windows.

One way to see all the environment variables that Emacs is seeing is to open
an Emacs shell buffer (M-x shell) and then run the shell command "set"
(without the quotes).  That should work with most shells, including Windows
XP cmd and bash.

Francis