Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: Guy Gascoigne - Piggford
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: Mon, 01 Nov 2004 11:09:33 -0800

David Vanderschel wrote:

On Saturday, October 30, "Guy Gascoigne-Piggford" <address@hidden> wrote:
I do realise that they aren't awfully significant from a memory point of view
and eventually the sockets will time out and close then the gnuclient
will just go away anyway,

But this is an undesirable behaviour for which a
workaround is clearly needed.  The TCP/IP timeout is
way too short for significant editing, and we do not
want the application/client to continue with the as
yet not edited file.  Can you not add some sort of
stay-awake message exchange?

It should also be noted that this undesirable
behaviour does not currently occur with the mailslot
version.
I've noticed that as well, mailslots are just handled differently. I'll take a look at how best to change the tcp timeout issue, it's certainly a pain the way that it is.

So I guess I'm saying that what the correct behaviour
is, is all dependant on what your end goal actually
is.  My take on this was attempting to make Windows
intergration easier with the bonus of keeping pretty
good compatability with the unix version of
gnuclient.  I still think that the easiest way to do
this is to just add something like -w to gnuclient
and allow it to hang around if you need it to.

I am supposing you meant gnuclientw there, and by
"gnuclientw" I mean the version linked as a win32
application.
Yes, my typo.

Guy