Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: 31 Oct 2004 23:11:41 -0600

On Saturday, October 30, "Lennart Borgman"
<address@hidden> wrote:
>- Gnuclientw is the preferred program to call from
>other program when Emacs should act as an "edit
>server". The reason for this is that is has no
>associated console window ("dos box"), since it is
>compiled as a windows application (while gnuclient is
>compiled as a console application - and those always
>has a console window).

Clearly you are not talking about any current
incarnation of gnuclientw because they cannot be made
to wait.  You are talking about what you would like to
transform gnuclientw into.

I think the more reasonable thing to say here is that
something linked as a win32 application would be the
preferred program ...

>Gnuclientw has to wait for the editing to finish and
>it does not do that by default.

As far as I know, it (as it presently exists) does
not wait under any circumstances.

>Hence I suggested a new -w flag. The default
>behaviour to not wait can not be changed unless we
>want gnuclientw processes hanging around on some ms
>windows versions (NT, Win98 ...)

The rationale for this proposed change is undeniable.
Furthermore, it is incredibly simple to accomplish.
I see no drawbacks or potential controversy here.
The only downside I see is the unfortunate historical
accident that, with the new version, the default
behaviours of gnuclient and gnuclientw with respect to
waiting will be opposite.  I can live with that.

>when gnuclientw is used for drop targets since the
>arguments specified in the drop target is not
>actually used on those ms windows versions.

IMO, this argument should not be used, as use of a PIF
for the shortcut will allow the arguments to be
passed.  I will post a followup to my "Forget the drop
target" message including a simple batch file which
can be used in a shortcut to solve the problem.  (I
hope for someone to confirm that it works on XP.)

Regards,
  David V.