Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: 31 Oct 2004 22:44:41 -0600

On Saturday, October 30, "Guy Gascoigne-Piggford" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Personally the thought of having a lot of gnuclients
>hanging around in the process list for absolutely no
>reason strikes me at ugly.

Me too.  I would go farther.  I would try hard to
avoid it.

>I do realise that they aren't awfully significant
>from a memory point of view and eventually the
>sockets will time out and close then the gnuclient
>will just go away anyway,

But this is an undesirable behaviour for which a
workaround is clearly needed.  The TCP/IP timeout is
way too short for significant editing, and we do not
want the application/client to continue with the as
yet not edited file.  Can you not add some sort of
stay-awake message exchange?

It should also be noted that this undesirable
behaviour does not currently occur with the mailslot
version.

>To be completely honest I've not come across a single
>Windows (not console) app where I'd want to install a
>separate editor and have it wait for the result, I'm
>not saying that they don't exist, just that it's
>really easy to use Windows a lot for a lot of divers
>things and never come across this need.

Like I said for the way I work, I cannot easily
imagine having more than one such file with a waiting
client at a time.

>So I guess I'm saying that what the correct behaviour
>is, is all dependant on what your end goal actually
>is.  My take on this was attempting to make Windows
>intergration easier with the bonus of keeping pretty
>good compatability with the unix version of
>gnuclient.  I still think that the easiest way to do
>this is to just add something like -w to gnuclient
>and allow it to hang around if you need it to.

I am supposing you meant gnuclientw there, and by
"gnuclientw" I mean the version linked as a win32
application.

Regards,
  David V.