Re: [h-e-w] Emacs Resource (GDI) Leak on Windows

From: Richard M. Heiberger
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs Resource (GDI) Leak on Windows
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 11:59:15 -0400

I see this problem regularly.  I reported it some time back, one or two years
ago I think.

My diagnosis was that somewhere around 45MB VM size (your 49MB is
consistent with my observation) and somewhere around 256 open buffers, emacs
loses
the information about where on the physical screen its frames are placed.  In
that
situation, emacs paints in some other program's frame.  C-l restores the emacs
frame,
but not the contents of the other program's frame.  A few keystrokes later,
emacs again
paints in the wrong frame.

As you discovered, killing emacs is the only solution.

Rich