Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] gnuserv maintenance
Date: 26 Oct 2004 20:44:58 -0500

On Tuesday, October 26, "Jason Rumney" <address@hidden> wrote:
>gnuclient/gnuserv is not and has never been part of Emacs distribution.
>It is a seperate add-on, which used to fill in some missing features
>from emacsclient, but these days is only really useful for Windows users.

>The port of emacsclient to Windows, although it has been attempted but
>never finished a number of times in the past, has been under discussion
>on emacs-devel for the last 2 days, so it is not yet available on
>Windows. This time the person doing the porting will be someone who has
>experience with porting gnuclient/gnuserv, so hopefully he will finish
>the job. If not, it looks like we have someone else (Matthew who started
>this thread) who might be willing to step in and take over, so I have
>confidence that emacsclient will be ported at last.

>emacsserver is now obsolete. The server portion of emacsclient now runs
>directly in Lisp.

>I hope that clarifies things for you.

It is clarifying with respect to the role of gnuclient
as perceived by the core emacs maintainers.  It is not
clarifying with respect to what, if anything, Matthew
X. Economou should do with respect to upgrading
gnuclient.  It does make it clear that there is little
chance of Matthew being able to release any
improvements into the emacs distribution, as it
appears that the main distribution will never embrace
gnuclient.  If a Windows emacsclient is definitely
coming, Matthew's efforts would be wasted (unless the
resulting emacsclient has some serious deficiencies).

It seems to me that Matthew, Guy Pascoigne-Piggford,
and the folks on emacs-devel should be talking to one
another to figure out what should be done for
gnuserv-type function under Windows.  Since explicit
changes are being considered, the folks on this list
might appreciate a chance to comment on whatever might
ultimately be proposed.

Regards,
  David V.