Re: [h-e-w] auto text mode

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] auto text mode
Date: 25 Oct 2004 22:41:18 -0500

On Monday, October 25, "Christopher G D Tipper" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Dear Mr February, I am using NTEmacs, this is a question about NTEmacs, I
>have a problem with my program. Why should I waste time joining another
>list when you guys seem so friendly. Or have I walked in to some members
>club by mistake?

Christopher, I am administrator for the
help-emacs-windows email list.  It's purpose is to
treat issues which are specific to the Windows port of
GNU emacs.  Your question was a very basic one which
had nothing to do with the platform on which you were
running emacs.  Questions about GNU emacs which are
not specific to the Windows port are better addressed
on the gnu.emacs.help Usenet forum, as there are more
folks there who can help you and more who can benefit
from seeing the responses.

When a newcomer to the list such as yourself asks a
question which is off-topic in this sense, it is
normal that he gets an answer anyway and that he also
gets clued in to the fact that such questions would be
better posted elsewhere.  We _are_ friendly here; but
we also like to stay on topic.  You did get an answer,
and it is not appropriate for you to take offense from
August's attempt to point you in the right direction
for future reference.  He was trying to be helpful -
both for yourself and for the rest of us (who would
also prefer to keep off-topic 'noise' to a minimum).

Regards,
  David V.