[h-e-w] Re: Middle mouse button is <down-mouse-1> instead of mouse-2

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Middle mouse button is <down-mouse-1> instead of mouse-2
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 15:56:54 +0200

Christian Schlauer <address@hidden> writes:

> Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Why is the default setting 5?
>
> No idea.

I am not the only one with this. A colleague here has a Logitech
cordless wheel mouse with three buttons, and Emacs also reports 5
buttons. But he can yank, as the middle button is configured as middle
button (he needs the function `middle button' for CAD anyway). I have
a Logitech cordless wheel mouse with three buttons, too, and have 5
buttons, too. (And I can't yank because I configured the middle button
to be `double click'.)

> I will tell that a colleague here who has the same problem (no
> mouse-2), and he has a thumb button on the mouse. I'll check the value
> of w32-num-mouse-buttons on his machine, too.

That colleague has a four-button Logitech cordless wheel mouse (it has
an additional thumb button) and changed his middle button to be
`middle button' now, today. w32-num-mouse-buttons is 3 on his machine,
although there are four buttons... But Emacs recognizes the thumb
button as `M-kp-left' or something similar, I don't remember exactly.

The third computer I checked was at home, and the Logitech USB wheel
mouse with three buttons gives w32-num-mouse-buttons is 3. Without the
mouse (it's a laptop with touchpad/track point and two touchpad
buttons and two trackpoint buttons), w32-num-mouse-buttons is 2.

2 three button mice  have 5 buttons
1 three button mouse has  3 buttons
1 four  button mouse has  3 buttons

--