[h-e-w] Re: Middle mouse button is <down-mouse-1> instead of mouse-2

From: Christian Schlauer
Subject: [h-e-w] Re: Middle mouse button is <down-mouse-1> instead of mouse-2
Date: Mon, 13 Sep 2004 10:52:38 +0200

Hi Jason,

thanks for your quick reply!

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Many mouse drivers on Windows let you configure what the middle button
> does. Check your mouse settings in the control panel to see if it
> gives you the option to treat it as a middle button.

It's a Logitech mouse with the latest Logitech driver, and the middle
button is configured as `Double-click'. I uninstalled the driver, as
you suggested:

> If not, consider whether you really need the fancy extra options
> your driver gives you, since most modern mice work with the generic
> PS/2 mouse driver, which leaves the middle button as a middle
> button.

After a system reboot (as required by the driver deinstallation), it
works! The middle mouse button is mouse-2 now, and I can
yank. Cool. But I guess there are many Emacs installations out there
where it is not working... having an extra mouse driver installed and
using the middle button for double-click is probably not too uncommon.

What I mean is: although this is a solution, a solution that would
work together with the mouse driver installed would be better,
IMHO. Couldn't there be a variable that allows for toggeling the
function of the middle mouse button in Emacs, between e.g. the
`system-wide setting' and `mouse-2'?

Now I see that the middle button seems to be dead in all applications
but Emacs. Clicking or double-clicking a program icon on the desktop
with the middle button doesn't do anything now. So it's not a solution
:-(

>> ,----[ C-h v w32-num-mouse-buttons RET ]
>> | w32-num-mouse-buttons's value is 5
>> |
>> | Documentation:
>> | Number of physical mouse buttons.
>> `----
>
> This is suspicious, as the wheel is not counted as buttons on
> Windows. Did you set this manually?

No. When I tried this, I started emacs with `runemacs -q
--no-site-file'.

> If you let Emacs detect this, then at least you can press left and
> right buttons together to get mouse-2 if it detects your mouse as a
> two button one.

Even now, after uninstalling the mouse driver, I get (again with
`runemacs -q --no-site-file'):

,----[ Emacs 21.3 ]

,----[ CVS Emacs ]
| w32-num-mouse-buttons's value is 5