[h-e-w] Problem with character encoding when loading and saving text fil

From: Georg Lundesgaard
Subject: [h-e-w] Problem with character encoding when loading and saving text files
Date: Fri, 16 Jul 2004 10:42:41 +0200

I'm having problems with Emacs when editing text files including norwegian characters (æøåÆØÅ). When I edit the text in Emacs and save it to file it uses utf-8 character set but the file is marked as ansi when opening the same file in Notepad. This makes the norwegian characters unreadable. When I save a text file in Windows using the UTF-8 encoding and open it in Emacs it seems like it is read using the latin-1 code set.

How can I configure this correctly? Either that it both reads and writes text files as UTF-8 OR Latin-1. Not like I stated above. It makes it a pain exchanging files with non-Emacs users.

--
Georg Lundesgaard
Developer, Enonic AS - <URL:http://enonic.com>