RE: [h-e-w] Navigation with file-find

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Navigation with file-find
Date: Thu, 17 Jun 2004 13:30:19 +0100

> From:
> address@hidden

On my system, I can do find-file //xxx.maths.qmul.ac.uk/home/ and then use
dired to navigate from there within NT Emacs, where xxx represents our
departmental NFS server and I run the Microsoft NFS client; something
similar should work with smb.  This does not use tramp or ftp.  However,
completion does not seem to work well.

But what I actually do in practice is open the remote directory I want to
work in using Windows Explorer and then invoke Emacs on a remote file or
directory via gnuclientw using the Explorer context menu.  I have the roots
of two remote directory trees assigned to drive letters so that they show up
in Explorer, which I find much more convenient that using Network
Neighbourhood.  I used Network Neighbourhood only when I was setting up my
NFS client.

Francis