RE: [h-e-w] Q Making the font selection permanent

From: Eli Daniel
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Q Making the font selection permanent
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:14:32 -0400

No doubt there's a way to do it through the customize UI, but here's how to
set it manually:

1) First, find out the X windows-style name of the font you want.  The
easiest way to do this on windows is to evaluate the following in your
*scratch* buffer:

(insert (prin1-to-string (w32-select-font)))

This will pop up a font dialog box -- choose the font you want, and click
OK, and it'll insert the X-style name into the buffer.

2) To make this the default font, add it to your default-frame-alist.  I set
a bunch of frame parameters in my .emacs like this:

(setq default-frame-alist
      '((top . 50)
        (left . 100)
        (width . 110)
        (height . 40)
        (cursor-color . "brown4")
        (cursor-type . bar)
        (background-color . "floral white")
        (font .
"-outline-Georgia-normal-r-normal-normal-*-90-*-*-p-*-iso8859-15")
        (vertical-scroll-bars . right)))

Substitute your favorite font for "-outline-Georgia...".

3) You'll notice that when you first launch emacs, it'll open with a default
font and frame position, and then redraw itself according to these
parameters.  If this annoys you, you can set some registry entries to give
emacs a different font and position to use on startup.  For instance, to
make emacs come up initially with the same settings as I have in my
default-frame-alist, I have the following registry entries:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Gnu\Emacs\EMACS.GEOMETRY=110x40+50+100
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Gnu\Emacs\EMACS.FONT=-outline-Georgia-normal-r-n
ormal-normal-*-90-*-*-p-*-iso8859-15
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Gnu\Emacs\EMACS.BACKGROUND=floral white

-Eli Daniel