Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 21.3 & ESS 5.1.24

From: Stephen Leake
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Emacs 21.3 & ESS 5.1.24
Date: 22 Mar 2004 14:24:14 -0500

address@hidden writes:

> Gentlemen,
> I keep having problems when trying to run Splus 6.2 through ESS 5.1.24.
> The problem is an error message when trying to start the Splus inferior
> process. "M-x S+6"
>
> I get the following error message:
> "The emacs variable 'inferior-S+6-program-name' does not point to S-Plus 6.
> Please add 'splus61/cmd' to your 'exec-path' or specify the complete path
> to 'Splus.exe'  in the variable 'inferior-S+6-program-name' in your
> '.emacs' file."
>
> The only way I could have this fixed, was to change the code in the file
> "essdsp6w.el"
> changing the part of the file where it checks for the version of Splus.
>
> Here is the piece of the code I changed:   Is this a bug????

Yes, in two ways. First, the original code was written with hard-coded
versions, so it is hard to fix for future versions.

Second, it was not fixed for the version you have :).

The fix you put in is fairly reasonable. It would be better to put in
a more general solution; parse the string to get a major and minor
version, have the user specify a minimum required version.

Or just ignore the version string altogether; presumably the user has
other ways of determining what version of Splus is running.

--
-- Stephe