Re: [h-e-w] Windows Emacs using Window print routines

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Windows Emacs using Window print routines
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 15:59:20 +0100

Hi Douglas,

"Harter, Douglas" <address@hidden> writes:
> I THINK IT IS TIME THAT WINDOWS EMACS USES THE WINDOWS PRINT
> ROUTINES INSTEAD OF PRINTING THRU DOS, or at least provide it as an
> option.

Emacs can print fine through any printing program that you want to
use.  As far as plain functionality goes (as opposed to convenience
while installing), it doesn't need to incorporate a new incompatible
and non-portable printing module.

> The main reason is that with the increased usage of All-In-One type
> printers, dos cannot print to the usb ports. Since I got my HP PSC
> 2110 All-in-One printer, it is now impossible for me to print from
> emacs.

Ghostscript can print to Windows printers the same as any other
Windows program can do it via its mswinpr2 driver, see Devices.htm in
the Ghostscript documentation.  The FAQ at
<http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq6.html#printing-emacs>
also mentiones that there is a tool called gsprint.exe that can be
used as a convenient frontend for Ghostscript in this context.

I have also heard of a Windows tool called "PrintFile".

benny