Re: [h-e-w] Current word on binaries

From: Harald Maier
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Current word on binaries
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:24:08 +0100

>> From: Harald Maier <address@hidden>
>> Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 16:41:29 +0100
>>
>> Ok, I remember it again. Last year there was a patch about _fmode and
>> O_BINARY for gcc -mno-cygwin. See herefor the the messages in
>> emacs-devel with:
>>
>> ,----
>> | Subject: address@hidden: Re: Issues with Windows gcc -mno-cygwin
>> |       (Mingw)]
>> `----
>
> Sorry, I'm confused: what does this have to do with the problem at
> hand?  Did you verify that the crash is related to this patch?

Yes, I added the patch and all worked fine. emacs-21.3.tar.gz was made
before that change of gcc. If you want to build emacs with newer gccs
you need that fix, otherwise you will get the errors as discussed.
IIRC that patch was added to the RC branch.

> Why not simply patch the sources and be done with it?

If this is possible, I don't have a problem with that. My only problem
is that the current emacs-21.3.tar.gz _sources_ in a actual cygwin
environment are useless. You will always get discussions about the
problem. Are there any plans to distribute the RC branch. That would
fix the problem too.

Harald