[h-e-w] weird font problem on windows NT

From: Horsley Tom
Subject: [h-e-w] weird font problem on windows NT
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2004 07:18:26 -0500

I have a copy of the X11 9x15 font that has been converted to a windows .fon
file.
I have installed it via the normal windows "install font" process. It shows
up
in the emacs font selection dialog box, but when I pick it, the font emacs
is using isn't the same font (although the name it claims to be using is the
name the font picker says is 9x15).

This is gnu emacs 21.2.1 (I also get the same behavior with 21.3).
Weirdly, an older emacs (I think it was 20.7) can access the 9x15 font
just fine.

On two other systems running Windows XP (not NT), I use the exact same
emacs binary and the exact same windows font file, and it works perfectly.
I can use the 9x15 font with no problems.

Anyone have any clues as to the cause of this or how to fix it? Whatever
font
it is actually displaying is really pretty nasty looking :-).