RE: [h-e-w] Problems in buffer saving

From: Alvi Hirvelä
Subject: RE: [h-e-w] Problems in buffer saving
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 10:42:13 +0200 (EET)

Thanks guys!

Now I got it working by tweaking the file-precious-flag variable.

Doc says:

If this variable is non-nil, then save-buffer protects against I/O errors while
saving by writing the new file to a temporary name instead of the name it is
supposed to have, and then renaming it to the intended name after it is clear
there are no errors. This procedure prevents problems such as a lack of disk
space from resulting in an invalid file.

Only strange thing is that I used to have it 'nil' and after changing it to
't', VC++ started to work. But like I said earlier, if I manually renamed the
file after buffer saving to something and then back to original, the VC++ again
recognized the file.

thanks,
Alvi

> At least on UNIX, there is a way to get Emacs to rewrite the updated
> contents back to the original inode.  I don't remember which option
>  it was,
> but I think it was one that preserved the group ownership, if that
>  helps.
> I have no idea if this concept exists in the Windows code....
>
> Mark

 MTV3 Laajakaista - Hauskemman elämän puolesta.
 http://www.mtv3.fi/liittyma/hankinta/laajakaista/