Re: [h-e-w] heading a large file

From: Chris McMahan
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] heading a large file
Date: Tue, 6 Jan 2004 14:54:31 -0500

I've been in similar situations, and emacs chokes when you run out of
memory.

I used the program split with a value of 100 meg for each
split

Usage: split [OPTION] [INPUT [PREFIX]]
Output fixed-size pieces of INPUT to PREFIXaa, PREFIXab, ...; default
PREFIX is `x'.  With no INPUT, or when INPUT is -, read standard input.

Mandatory arguments to long options are mandatory for short options too.
  -a, --suffix-length=N   use suffixes of length N (default 2)
  -b, --bytes=SIZE        put SIZE bytes per output file
  -C, --line-bytes=SIZE   put at most SIZE bytes of lines per output file
  -l, --lines=NUMBER      put NUMBER lines per output file
      --verbose           print a diagnostic to standard error just
                            before each output file is opened
      --help     display this help and exit
      --version  output version information and exit

SIZE may have a multiplier suffix: b for 512, k for 1K, m for 1 Meg.

--
    Chris McMahan | address@hidden