Re: [h-e-w] spam problem, moderation [sic] enabled, members only

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] spam problem, moderation [sic] enabled, members only
Date: 05 Jan 2004 16:34:16 -0600

On Monday, January 05, "Eric S. Johansson" <address@hidden> wrote:
>spammers may be very clever but they can also be very dumb.  I converted
>all of my mailing lists to the members only white list and I have had
>very little problems with spam coming through.  It's not perfect and I
>think that had one breakthrough in two years but it's better than most.

They may be clever, but I think they are also lazy.  I
do not think it is easy to automate the joining of
lists for the purpose of spamming them.  It might be
worth it for a very large list; but I do not think
this one really has the right kinds of 'customers'.

On Monday, January 05, "Bill Pringlemeir" <address@hidden> wrote:
>However, the bulk of present spam should be averted by David method. I
>understand Michael's argument, but I think that the net benefit to
>the list is on David's side at the moment.  What expert is going to
>listen to a mailing list full of spam to help the newcomers?  If
>spammers start to subvert this mechanism, then it should be
>reconsidered.

If anything, the rate of the spam has actually
increased.  I have already rejected well over 2 dozen
pieces since I started moderating posts from
non-members.  Fortunately it is easy to add legitimate
senders like Eric by just checking a box when
approving a post.  (There is also a checkbox to reject
future posts from the sender without moderation, but
that is not helpful since the spammers tend to forge
unique sender addresses.)

Regards,
  David V.