[h-e-w] Problems with new bash shell under xp

From: Ken Brown
Subject: [h-e-w] Problems with new bash shell under xp
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2003 09:53:22 -0500

I've been using Cygwin bash as my shell in emacs for a long time with no problems, under both windows 98 and 2000. I just bought a new computer running xp, installed the current version of Cygwin, and the bash shell under emacs refuses to run programs in the background. When I type "program name&", nothing visible happens, though the windows task manager shows that the program is running. If I type "ps" in the bash shell, the window suddenly opens, but it hangs with an hourglass and I have to kill it. I've tried this with two different programs: gsview32 and yap.

The problem occurs in both emacs 21.2 and 21.3. It doesn't happen if I just open a bash shell outside of emacs.

I don't know whether this is related to xp or the new bash. I could try updating cygwin on my older machines to see what happens, but I don't want to take a chance on breaking something that works.

Any suggestions?

Ken Brown