[h-e-w] allow cygwin emacs to use _emacs?

From: Tom Roche
Subject: [h-e-w] allow cygwin emacs to use _emacs?
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 21:36:20 -0500

Just a suggestion to any cygwin emacs maintainers out there:

Like many longterm NTEmacs users, I use a _emacs, since windows tools
have been known to choke on .emacs. I finally found time to upgrade to
cygwin emacs, which seems pretty easy:

* run setup, get the latest cygwin emacs (21.2.1), xfree86, etc.

* ensure that startxwin.bat is in my windows path and tweak it to

> start XWin -multiwindow -clipboard -unixkill
> REM Startup an xterm, using bash as the shell.

however you like--this works for me

> run xterm -sl 1000 -sb -rightbar -ms red -fg white -bg blue -e /usr/bin/bash

* run startwinx.bat from windows, get the xterm shell

* run emacs from that shell with

> emacs --debug-init &

The resulting emacs gets its HOME from the w2k environment, just like
my NTEmacs. The problem is, it won't use my _emacs unless I symlink

$ ln -s ./_emacs ./.emacs

I'm guessing NTEmacs had some kinda workaround allowing one to use
_emacs--correct? Anyway, It Would Be Nice if cygwin emacs could do
this also.