Re: [h-e-w] ftp using usernames with imbedded @ sign

From: rob . davenport
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] ftp using usernames with imbedded @ sign
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 14:17:58 -0500

I too had an ISP that insisted on the 'at' sign in the username.
Aggravating. [1]

Have you tried substituting "%40" (hex code for the at sign, IIRC).
That might work.
e.g.:
      address@hidden

Regards,

Rob

[1] I stayed with them because they had a shell account when no other
local
providers did, and it used to be very easy to talk to the tech support
guy to get
things resolved when they were a Little ISP.  Then they got bought out
by a Big ISP.
Which was actually their reason for using the at sign in the user name -
because
the Big ISP had bought up many smaller ISPs and the easiest way they
figured
out to integrate them (when username conflicts arose) was to force users
append @oldISPdomain to their username.

They haven't upgraded to offering broadband which the family wanted, so
we
finally parted ways and we have cable internet now.  And no more stupid
at signs
in the username!