Re: [h-e-w] buffer size

From: Dr Francis J. Wright
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] buffer size
Date: Thu, 20 Nov 2003 15:50:07 -0000

From: "Brent Everitt" <address@hidden>
To: <address@hidden>
Sent: Thursday, November 20, 2003 8:28 PM
Subject: [h-e-w] buffer size

> I have a really large (roughly 400 Mb) text file to edit. When I try and
load into emacs I get "maximum buffer size exceeded" or some such.  What is
the best way around this?

> (I am running this on a laptop running Windows XP, with 512 Mb ram)
>
> Thanks,
> Brent

It depends very much on what kind of editing you want to do.  The Unix
Stream EDitor (sed) was designed for this kind of problem, and if you want
to perform a number of well defined operations without actually looking at
the file then Cygwin sed might be a (free) way forward.  Alternatively,
Cygwin split should allow you to split the file into (say) 100Mb chunks that
you might then be able to edit using Emacs.

Francis