Re: [h-e-w] Re: Another problem with MinGW shell in Emacs: directory tra

From: Bill Pringlemeir
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Re: Another problem with MinGW shell in Emacs: directory tracking
Date: 16 Oct 2003 18:04:18 -0400

>>>>> "Eric" == Eric Hanchrow <address@hidden> writes:

 Eric> cygwin-mount.el (http://www.blarg.net/~offby1/cygwin-mount/).
 Eric> I don't know if it will work with mingw, not knowing for sure
 Eric> what mingw is, exactly.  In any case, cygwin-mount.el requires
 Eric> the Cygwin "mount" program to be present.

MingW is a "minimalist windows" implementation of the GNU software.

    "http://www.mingw.org/";

Cygwin has a DLL that does translation of Unix API to windows API.
For instance, most open source code assumes BSD sockets.  Whereas a
windows machine might require using the WinSock API (at least it did)
without Cygwin.

As Cygwin requires a DLL (and an extra software layer), there are the
typical DLL clashes.  For instance if you use the vxWorks development
tools for cross compiling on Window, they use Cygwin underneath.
Installing a newer Cygwin version can screw up the vxWorks/Tornado
install.  If you have other commercial software that comes with a
cygwin DLL, the same thing can happen.

The extra software layer also causes Cygwin programs to run slightly
slower (but that should make it seem more like a Window app ;-).

The MSys is a bash like shell.  I have never tried to get it to work
under Emacs... I don't think that is what Kai is doing?

 Kai> Maybe I'm trying the wrong way to get Unixish behavior from
 Kai> Windows.  Should I try to get used to cmd.exe and learn how to
 Kai> use its conditional constructs and looping?

The for loop is pretty simple on Windows.  I don't usually do shell
escapes and crazy stuff on *nix, so the "for %i in (*.hpp) do echo %i"
is ok with me.  I would rather use Perl or TCL to script
things... then as with Emacs, it doesn't matter what land you are in,
you are always at home.

 Kai> Or maybe I should migrate to a more fully cygwinized
 Kai> environment.  Then I would use Windows only for Outlook and
 Kai> Word.  Is this a better approach?

What!  Why are you using outlook?  There are many mail programs
running Emacs that work fine with the crap Outlook produces.  There is
an open source "tnef" project that you can compile with the mingw
tools.

Also, Emacs can be used to edit documents.  I usually just distribute
things in HTML... but then you can start to run into politics when you
start distributing things that are too foreign for some people.

fwiw,
Bill Pringlemeir.