Re: [h-e-w] M-TAB and C-M-i

From: David Vanderschel
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] M-TAB and C-M-i
Date: 30 Sep 2003 19:00:16 -0500

On Monday, September 29, "Stefan Daschek" <address@hidden> wrote:
>Kai Grossjohann <address@hidden> writes:

>> I thought I might like to try C-M-i instead, but
>> that combo never arrives in Emacs:

>Maybe some other application is capturing C-M-i
>before Emacs can see it.

I find that this is true for all the following
characters:

     c f i l m v w

(Because the significance of their corresponding Ctrl-
variants, with i, m, and l in there, you might expect
j too; but no!)

I have always wondered what was preempting them.  I do
_not_ have any Windows keyboard shortcuts set for
desktop icons.  (These always use C-M-keys.)

It occurs to me that, if one ever did use the Windows
shortcut keys for desktop icons (Yes, I once did
this.), one's registry could get fouled up in a manner
which could cause this symptom.  Anyone know where to
look?

I tried the w32-register-hot-key function that
Wojciech Komornicki  suggested, but no joy!  However,
it is not completely clear how to invoke it.  (I tried
things like "[C-M-i]" and "[(control meta ?i)]" for
the argument (without the quotes).)

Running 20.7.3 under Windows 98.

Regards,
  David V.